1.26.2009

the best gift i ever "returned"


stevie's given me a lot of gifts over the years. he tends to out-do himself. but they aren't always well-received (i suck). like the disc golf bag he gave me for christmas when we were dating. i thought it was a gag gift and i laughed at it (i make fun of people who take disc golf seriously). or the northface coat that i really really wanted. only he got me a pink one (and i do not wear pink) so i sold it. there's the trainer for my bike that i don't ride enough (dare i say "never"). and then there's the weimeraner/great dane doggy that i gave away today. that's right, i gave my dog away.

lexi has a new home and, although i know it's better for her, i'm still really super sad about it. on one hand, all i have been saying the past few months are things like: "lexi, get out of the way," and "nash, quit feeding lexi," and "lexi, quit growling." all day long to the point of insanity. on the other hand, i feel so sad that nash won't have his doggy. i mean, a boy needs a dog, right? i feel horrible about the fact that she might think she did something wrong or that i don't love her; what kind of person gives away a family member?

but i do love her and i am really going to miss her. hopefully she won't miss us, though. hopefully she'll get ample cuddle time and long walks (something i was severely neglecting and something she really needs) and maybe she'll still get to lick the plates.

{be a good girl, lex.}

on a much more shallow note, i'm also mourning the loss of a special vase. if you see one like this anywhere PLEASE grab it for me! (it's the teal/turquoise one by the fireplace in this picture:


18 comments:

Melanie said...

That's got to be so hard! I'm so sorry. I totally understand though. Even though I was so sad when we had to put our dog to sleep last spring, I had been the same way - so frustrated with him (pregnancy likely didn't help my attitude). And I would like another dog someday, but NOT, NOT, NOT while we still have babies. It's just too much! I'm afraid one day I'll come home though and my husband will have just gotten a dog without asking me what I think. We'll have to see I guess!

Two Wheeler said...

It's super sad to see Lexi go, but if it's for the better, sometimes that's what's got to happen. Who'd you give her to?

{lizzythebotanist} said...

BD-the reason i was actually able to let her go is because laura & diane were willing (and excited) to take her. so she's only a few blocks away and living with my best friends. the situation is ideal. otherwise, i would still have her.

Laurie said...

Pooor lexi - I'm sure you made the right decision. I just know how I would feel if I had to do that and it almost makes me cry.

lisset said...

you are my stronger than i. even if marley tore up the whole house everyday, i'd still have a hard time letting her go. maybe a little dog would be a better fit??

about the vase- you better believe
i'm on the hunt. do you prefer something plain? and do you remember how tall it was?

lisset said...

much not my. excuse my stupidity. i'm still half asleep...

Alifinale said...

I am so sorry. I know that it is hard to not have her but at the same time a relief. So glad she is still close and with good friends that will love her.

Two Wheeler said...

At least you know she went to a good home then. And I'll still get to see her at Laura and Diane's from time to time!

Chrissi said...

You know, when Ben and I first got married we were given a lab puppy and named it Lexi. However, ours was a yellow lab, not black. After 3 weeks, the puppy was driving me crazy and I made Ben give it back. It was not making my life better in any way, so I figured that it wasn't fair for the dog to be some place that it wasn't wanted. I felt bad, but I had to look out for myself first.
I hope you feel better about giving Lexi away.

j e s s i e said...

When we were first married we had a beautiful weimeraner. I sold her when we had Tate, and bawled for a good day or two. Then I went to visit her a little while later, and she loved her new owner. It made me feel so much better. It's tough though.

bulkleybunch said...

you mean lexi is not my doggy niece anymore??!!! do laura and diane want toby, mocha or pursee??!!!! i'll pay them! sad! i know you loved her, but dogs are so hard especially in the winter and runaway mongrels are hard to keep track of. :( love you! be happy!

Stacy said...

Sad! I am sure she will be happier, and you will be too I am sure! You will have to go and visit her!

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

enquiring minds want to know...is Lexi responsible for the missing vase?

{lizzythebotanist} said...

kj-heavens no! i would not give a dog away for something THAT shallow! it was just an accident-boys will be boys...

Anonymous said...

This is exactly why people should think twice before getting a pet. Most people know whether they want kids or not. If you think you would give away a pet after having a baby, don't adopt the pet. A pet is a commitment for the life of the pet, possibly 20 years. If you can't make a 20 year commitment, you have no business adopting.


Be a responsible adult. You made a lifelong commitment to that animal when you brought it into your home. When it becomes "inconvenient" to you you don't have the right to get rid of your pet - it's your RESPONSIBILITY.


Maybe instead of blogging, you should have taken your dog on a walk.

Sammy Pow said...

Ha ha, anonymous is tough and brave enough to preach, but not confident enough to list her name.

Minnow said...

When BA comments on LTB's blog, you know it must be for a good reason. Go walk your dog Anonymous. Or maybe you had the foresight to know that you'd be commenting on blogs and therefore never became a dog owner.

bulkleybunch said...

anonymous, kiss my big, cellulite filled, stretch-marked ASS!