5.20.2008

lexi takes lizzy for a ride

last night we decided to take nash to the park to feed ducks (again). stevie thought it would be a good idea to take lexi too. i wasn't too sure-i mean, she's a bird dog! but stevie insisted and said he would take her away from the ducks while nash fed them. didn't happen. in fact, i found myself sitting on the park bench positioned on top of the hill holding onto lexi's leash trying to keep her calm. sit, lexi, just sit. chill out. sit! it wasn't the ducks that taunted her, it was the random pigeon or seagull that would stop in for a bit. well, just when i thought she had settled down and might just sit and watch for a bit, i suddenly found myself being yanked. a pigeon had taken flight and lexi was determined to get it. she pulled me so hard that i couldn't get my hand out of her leash and she pulled me into and almost over the back of the bench which began to tip backwards. luckily my quick reflexes weren't entirely impaired by my pregnant state and i managed to scramble over the side of the bench and quickly found myself on hand and knees on the grass desperately trying not to land on my belly or in goose poop. she pulled me a little further and i finally managed to find my center and yank her back and give her a good lickin'. i climbed back on the bench and cried and laughed at the same time. it's nothing like the shiner that my SIL got from her dog while she was pregnant, but i came out of the whole ordeal with a nice skid mark on my wrist from the leash, a skinned knee, and a huge bruise on my right arm from the bench. i can only imagine what the other park-goers thought when they saw my about-to-pop self being dragged by my dog. and i'm wondering if the hospital staff will think we have "domestic" problems when they see all my scrapes and bruises tomorrow!

4 comments:

lisset said...

oh man. i would have loved to see that!
and would have loved to be inside the heads of the park patrons!!

bulkleybunch said...

dogs suck. let's go take lexi, toby, and mocha to the wilderness and set them free.

Harmony said...

Good luck tomorrow. I can't wait to see photos of Haven!

lisset said...

me and e have you in our thoughts today. hope everything goes smashingly! and enjoy your hospital stay... we'll see(read) you when you get home!! love!:)